Scratch is also a newspaper that tells you what God is doing in your world. It is available in printed and online format.
Find the latest electronic version, as well as previous editions, at Scratch the Newspaper.
Contact us at email@example.com if you would like copies of the print version, or if you would like to get involved with its distribution.
If you want to place an advertisement in the next edition or want to find out more about SCRATCH please also contact us.
Here are our bank details if you want to help us cover the costs of printing the paper, or to finance upcoming projects of SCRATCH:
Donations can be made to SCRATCH at our Nedbank account, number 1077810016, branch Cresta, with branch code 191305. For international donations our SWIFT code is NEDSZAJJ191305.
Why a Newspaper?
You only have to walk by the magazine rack in your local grocery store to know how many words are out there. Even if you don’t go looking for them, they flood in – pop-up ads the minute you boot up, push-marketing in your inbox. A daily avalanche of messages, mails, tweets and status updates.
Words fly of billboards and lamp posts, screaming sensation, disaster, gossip. They make so much noise, relishing in suffering, chaos, conflict and disaster. Screaming loud opinions about what you lack, what you didn’t know, how you should change. You end each day exhausted, convinced that everyone else is more prepared for the future, more secure, more together, having a better time.
So why more words, we hear you ask. Why Scratch? What is it? What do we want?
Scratch is about the world beyond our words. In Scratch we’re holding out to you moments of stillness where we hope to flood you with things you’ve forgotten you need; things the world has drained from you. Hope. Peace. A place beyond ideas of right-doing and wrong-doing, where we hope you will hear something different. That you are loved. That you’re not alone. That there’s wholeness, freedom, a point to it all. Assurance – for today, and forever. And we HAVE to put it in a newspaper – because, well, you will agree THAT IS NEWS. Solid, life-changing news. Of new life. Of freedom, joy, sufficiency. Of being and having much more than you’ve ever imagined.
Scratch is a resting place for believers in Jesus, and non-believers alike. A place where we enter the rest of Jesus. Some of our nicest friends have warned us politely it’s absurd in a world of highly stratified media, targeted through scientific market research, to write for an undefined audience. We agree it’s a bit stretching. But Jesus always spoke to everyone. He is for everyone.
In Scratch the simple news is that God wants to have a close relationship with you. It’s what His Word, the Bible is full of. It’s what He calls out for across the world. If you don’t (yet) believe us you will want to tune in every month to see the evidence!
And as we prayerfully engage with Jesus, asking for His involvement in our world, He changes everything. Often He does much more than we thought of asking…
- Our vision is for a newspaper that will live out the church’s mandate in the community.
- To produce an excellent product with wisdom and skill, that in its very composition, tone, style and approach embodies the gospel.
- Understand the questions that beset out community, because we have the answer in Jesus.
Foundation & Mandate
- 1 John 1:4 (NLT) We are writing these things so that you may fully share our joy.
- 1 Peter 3:15 (NKJV) …and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear…
- Acts 8:4-8 (NKJV) … those who were scattered went everywhere preaching the word. Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria and preached Christ to them. And the multitudes with one accord heeded the things spoken by Philip, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. For unclean spirits, crying with a loud voice came out of many who were possessed; and many who were paralysed and lame were healed. And there was great joy in that city.
- Eph 3:20 Ephesians 3:20-25 (AMP) Now to Him who, by (in consequence of) the [action of His] power that is at work within us, is able to [carry out His purpose and] do super-abundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams], to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations forever and ever.
- Eph 6:15 (AMP) And having shod your feet in preparation [to face the enemy with the firm-footed stability, the promptness, and the readiness produced by the good news] of the Gospel of peace.
What do we do through Scratch the Newspaper?
- We want to do what newspapers around us aren’t. Tell THE good news. Be church. Live our faith.
- Speak and spread the Word – God confirms his word…with everything that entails, based on what the word promises.
- Offer readers the bread of life…information & answers attuned to the questions of their lives.
- We see the newspaper and the process of producing it as a door-opener for the church and its friends across the body for preaching the gospel – an evangelism stage.
- It is a tool that will take us into community leaders’ homes and offices so that we can evangelise, pray for them and build relationship.
- We have a home to which we can invite them, at our churches – the paper will be one of the church’s calling cards. Our community is inundated with STUFF. They live in an info-overload world – they are constantly online, constantly under pressure, unable to process wisely, visually sophisticated and often jaded. When they come home it’s to “safe” spaces behind high walls. We want to penetrate the noise in their world. We want to produce a minimum of additional words…only words that really matter and cut to the heart.
- Provide a platform for gifted photographers, writers & designers in the body and our community.
- Provide a source of safe information – from stories to advertising.
- Teach people (ourselves & readers) to see with their conscience, not just their eyes; see corporately, not just individually; see Jesus.
- Regular readers who are already believers must see Jesus in every story, everything we do and the way we do it.
- Clarify in every edition that the gospel is about Jesus, his crucifixion and resurrection – and how that makes life possible today.